Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 28 April 2010

Patronage of St Philip in Oxford


I ought to perhaps explain that yesterday's observance of the Feast of the Patronage of St Philip was, in a sense, peculiar to the Oxford Oratory. Other Oratories keep the day, but on a day appropriate to them. Here in Oxford April 27th was chosen as that was the day in 1993 when this particular Oratory was formally approved and established by Rome.

St Philip Neri

This is a copy of the painting of St Philip by Guido Reni and is the work of Maria Giberne, who was one of Cardinal Newman's converts and one of his most ardent friends and supporters. The painting hangs over the altar in St Philip's Chapel in the Oxford Oratory.

No comments: