Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 12 June 2010

Sung EF Mass at Milton Manor next Saturday


There will be a Sung Mass in the Extraordinary Form on Saturday 19th June at Milton Manor House at 11.30. It will be a Votive Mass of Our Lady.

There will be a polyphonic Ordinary provided by the Schola Abelis.

Milton Manor is a historic refuge for Catholics, including the great Bishop Challoner, who died there, and the private chapel is a fine example of 'Strawberry Hill Gothick'. It is very much worth a visit.

In addition the Sung Sunday Mass on 11th July in SS Gregory and Augustine's in Oxford, at 10.30, will be in the Extraordinary Form.


No comments: