Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 27 September 2010

Venerating the True Cross

Just after the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, and just before the Pope was at Holyrood, Fr Blake at St Mary Magdalen, Brighton had an interesting post about the appropriate vesture and actions to be used when blessing with a relic of the True Cross. It can be read here.

Subsequently New Liturgical Movement has had pictures of the ceremonies at Heiligenkreutz in Austria at the Feast, which illustrates the account given by Fr Blake and his commentators. The images can be read here, and I am reproducing the first one to give an idea of what is on offer.


No comments: