Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 18 October 2010

Forty Hours at the Oxford Oratory


This coming weekend is the annual Forty Hours Devotion at the Oxford Oratory.

1286034515.jpg

FRIDAY 22nd OCTOBER:

6pm Solemn Mass of Exposition in the Extraordinary Form

Adoration until Midnight

SATURDAY 23rd OCTOBER:

12 Midnight Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament, followed by

ALL NIGHT VIGIL

Refreshments available in the Parish Centre all night

5am Matins & Lauds of the Blessed Sacrament

6am Mass

10am Mass

6.30pm Mass for Peace

12 Midnight The Blessed Sacrament is reposed

SUNDAY 24th OCTOBER:

8am Latin Mass in the Extraordinary Form

9.30am Parish Mass

11am Solemn Mass of the Sacred Heart

After which Exposition resumes

5pm Solemn Vespers of the Blessed Sacrament,

Procession and Benediction

6.30pm Evening Mass

1286034505.jpg


In addition there is also the LMS Oxford Pilgrimage on Saturday, about which I posted recently - so, if you are interested in such things - and you should be - Oxford is the place to be next weekend.

No comments: