Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 15 October 2010

Solemn Mass at Buckfast Abbey


I was impressed and delighted to see on the New Liturgical Movement that last Sunday there had been a Solemn High Mass in the Extraordinary Form at the High Altar of Buckfast Abbey, which also has a monthly EF Mass.


There are more photographs and comments here.

To the comments I would add a commendation to visit not only Buckfast itself but the surrounding area which is rich in history. In the wake of Bl.John Henry Newman's beatification visitors should visit Dartington, the home and burial place of his Oriel and Oxford Movement colleague Richard Hurrell Froude, and where Newman himself stayed in 1832 and again on a last visit to Froude who died in 1836.

I have known Buckfast for many years, and its twentieth century rebuilding is a remarkable and moving achievement by the monks. The abbey's website is here.


No comments: