Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 26 April 2011

The Last Knight sallies forth again


My friend that doughty crusader The Last Knight has three posts well worth reading on his blog.

Where the wild things are comments on the latest legal developments in the controvery around the Cardinal Vaughan school, and, forcefully, on the proper role of the Catholic laity.

In Another fine mess he, or rather his associate the Rubric Monster, ( a doubtless fascinating companion) make interesting points about the subdiaconate and the functions of traditional acolytes and modern instituted ones at Mass.

With Who else’s opinion was it going to be? he addresses the issue of opinion and the nature of belief, and our ability to express what we really hold to be true.

No comments: