Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 30 April 2011

The Royal Wedding


Well the Royal Wedding went very well indeed, as I for one expected, and, dare I say so, predicted back in November in Royal engagement.

Prince William and Kate

Image from Yahoo

What I did not forsee was that press coverage in advance was not as bad as I rather feared, which is good, and even better, even I did not forsee quite such an enormous outpouring of affection and regard for both TRH the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and for what they represent, and that is very good indeed. As HM The Queen was heard to say "It's amazing." Well, actually, perhaps not, but it must still be reassuring for the Royal family and, I firmly believe, for us as a nation.




Prayer for the Royal Wedding

From the Ordinariateof Our Lady of Walsingham newsletter

I will write more about the Royal Wedding and share some thoughts it has engendered in coming days.


1 comment:

Gareth Russell said...

Wonderful post. Thank you.