Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 6 May 2011

More on the Ordinariate arms


Following on from my post Arms and the Ordinariate I now see that the Ordinariate arms as displayed online are as I intimated I thought they should be, that is giving precedence to Walsingham. There is a link here. Perhaps there was an error in drawing up the image as originally shown. I shall be modest and not claim any credit for the change.

2 comments:

Athelstan Riley said...

Yes, and there's now a proper blazon to replace the rather lame description given originally. The fastidious work of a patrimonic editor, no doubt.

"BLAZON of the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham

The shield is divided per pale; the dexter half argent (silver) upon a cross azure (blue), five fleurs-de-lis proper (white); the sinister half, or (gold) upon a fasce dancette gules (composed of three red chevrons) between three heart gules (red)."

davidforster said...

I suspect that somebody might have confused their sinister with their dexter??