Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 6 June 2011

St Norbert


Today is the feast of St Norbert, Archbishop of Magdeburg and founder of the Premonstratensian Order, or, as they are more often known today, the Norbertines.

I must admit that until relatively recent years I associated the Premonstratensians as an order in this country solely with the middle ages, when they had an extensive series of abbeys across England. I now know that they are alive and well and, indeed, flourishing with new recruits and new foundations. Several of their members are people I have known in Oxford and who have found their vocation with the Order. Their website can be read at Norbertine Vocations.

Today is therefore a day on which to give thanks for St Norbert and his Order, and especially to pray for my Norbertine friends at St Philip's Priory Chelmsford.

1 comment:

Br. Rupert o.praem. said...

Many thanks John, for your kind wishes and prayers. Oremus pro invicem.