Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 27 September 2011

Lecture on Cardinal Manning on October 10th


On the evening of Monday October 10th the Anglo-Catholic History Society has its autumn lecture which is on "Manning's Intellectual Journey" and will be given by Fr James Pereiro.


Cardinal Manning
Painting by G.F.Watts in the National Portrait Gallery

Image:Wikipedia

Fr Pereiro, who is based in Oxford and a member of the Theology Faculty, has written extensively on nineteenth century ecclesiastical history. His biography of the subject "Cardinal Manning"was published in 1998. His latest book is "Ethos. At the heart of the Oxford Movement" was published in 2002.

The lecture will take place at St Matthew's Church, Great Peter Street, Westminster SW 1P 2BU at 7pm and is open to non-members.

I have added the website of the Society to the sidebar.

For further information about the lecture contact the Reverend Dr Perry Butler (Chairman) or visit the website Anglo-Catholic History Society.

I have also added that of the Cardinal Manning Society which I recently discovered.

1 comment:

Last Knight said...

A fair proportion of the constituency at which the Anglo-Catholic History Society is aimed must now be Roman Catholic. I wonder how the Ordinariate is going to take its place in Anglo-Catholic history. Perhaps this is an opportunity for a bit of Mission Creep?