Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 6 January 2012

Blessed chalk for Epiphany


At the end of the Epiphany Mass at SS Gregory and Augustine this evening Fr Saward blessed and distributed chalk for the traditional blessing of homes.

With the blessed chalk you write

20+C+M+B+12

above the doorways - 2012 for the year, C, M and B for the three Magi - Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar - and Christus mansionem benedicat - May Christ Bless this House.

Whilst writing say 'Christus mansionem benedicat' and then recite this prayer:

Lord God of heaven and earth, you revealed your only-begotten Son to every nation by the guidance of a star. Bless this house and all who inhabit it. Fill us with the light of Christ, that our concern for others may reflect your love. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

Mary C. said...

Saw this post on ThePulp.it this morning and was surprised to see a familiar face from the Oratory (I spent some time in the Lodge on Tuesdays during my time studying at Catz). What a beautiful blog! God bless. - Mary