Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 3 January 2012

Continuing renovation in Brighton


Fr Blake has a post about the latest progess he has made in the restoration of his church in Brighton which can be read at Renovations at St Mary Magdalen. This continuing cleaning and remnovation in the church is really very good news for that church and parish, and for the wider Church - Fr Blake and his parishioners have shown what can be done with faith, determination and fundraising. It is a project I commend to your pockets as well as your prayers, and should, of course, be viewed in situ, and when in use liturgically.

No comments: