Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 14 January 2012

Standish church


Christipher Howse's article in todays' Daily Telegraph is about the church of St Wilfrid at Standish in Lancashire. This is a place I have never visited, but just from reading the piece the church sounds very interesting with its unusual sixteenth century architecture from an Elizabethan rebuilding and with its recusant connections - including the only contemporary public monument to a Vicar Apostolic, that of Bishop Edward Dicconson. Definitely a place to visit if one is on a Lancashire church crawl.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiOsGMMgkJd5HnapOoROEBBhyJuch9hB2YZHhpdTopDrHFW9p0rqkDPTPQ1gvXiaiXDuI1UCYHiGjtzcLlMP4upPh5FxgAzLN9pem5RpVWb1KgrMNw87b7uRRSWaxP6IstMBhwDrA_IulA/s400/DSC02315a.JPG

Standish Church

Image:jennyberrypix.blogspot

The article from the Daily Telegraph can be read here.

No comments: