Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 30 June 2012

Fr Hunwicke's first Mass for the Ordinariate


Earlier this evening I attended the first Mass Fr Hunwicke celebrated for the Oxford Ordinariate Group at the church of Holy Rood. As for his Ordination one again  friends had travelled a considerable distance to show their support. His homily was a fine example of  his skills as a scholarly preacher, combining theological and historical erudition with a leaven of humour as he explored and expounded the tradition of devotion to the Precious Blood on the eve of the month dedicated to it, and, indeed, onthe Vigil in the pre-1970 Calendar of the Feast of the Precious Blood.

As on Wednesday I gave thanks for Fr John's Ordination and for the many gifts he brings to the life of the Catholic Church, and I look forward to seeing them bear fruit in the local group and in the wider community of the Church.

No comments: