Amongst the not inconsiderable number of medieval English churches dedicated to St Lawrence ( or St Laurence) that of St Laurence at Ludlow is perhaps outstanding. Built in its present form during the later middle ages it is a commanding landmark in this historic and beautiful town, and more than repays a visit by anyone interested in historic churches. For those of a literary turn of mind it also has the grave of A.E. Housman in the churchyard. In the sixteenth century John Leland described St Laurence's as: Very fayre and large and richly adorned and taken for the fairest in all these quarters, and that statement is still probably true.
In addition to the striking hexagonal south porch - similar to that at St Mary Redcliffe in Bristol - from the fourteenth century much of the church dates from the years 1433-1471, when Ludlow was one of the centres of the influence of the House of York, and the furnishings, notably the sixteenth and seventeenth century tombs reflect the town's importance as the seat of government for Wales and the borders by the Princes of Wales and the Council of Wales and the Marches from that period until the end of the seventeenth century.
The High Altar
Image Dierdre Snook's phototostream on Flickr
- The east window with the story of St Laurence - his martyrdom is in the lowest row of scenes
- At the top of the window is a representation of the Holy Trinity, and in the twop panels immediately below are King Henry VI and Thomas Spofford OSB, Bishop of Hereford 1421/2-1448, kneeling in adoration. The Bishop, formerly Abbot of St Mary's York - whither he retired in 1448 - was a friend or aquaintance of Bishop Fleming.
- Image: davidkennardphotography
Here is another example of fifteenth century glass from the church - the faces somehow look very familiar:
Image: peet astn's photostream on Flickr