Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 14 January 2013

Traditionalist Benedictines in Britain?



One of my friends, together with other like-minded men, is looking into the possibilities of living out the Benedictine monastic life with strict adherence to the Rule of St Benedict and with the Traditional form of Mass and the Office. At the moment there is no house in this country, unlike some houses on the continent or in the United States, which offers these various elements in combination. Some British houses offer one or other part of the envisaged regime, but not the whole which they seek.

This group of young men who are discerning their vocation to the traditional Benedictine life would like to hear from others who might be interested, or who can offer support, advice and prayers. They are having a year of discernment, which started last Advent. Please keep them in your prayers.

Their blog can be read here, and it outlines their vision. They can be contacted by email at traditional.benedictines.gb@gmail.com


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope and pray this will come to pass. Badly needed.