Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 1 March 2013

Sede vacante


We have now entered the period when the Holy See is Sede vacante.


The arms of the Holy See Sede vacante.
The triple tiara is replaced by the ombrellino, and an ancient symbol of the Papacy.

Image: Wikipedia


There is an online article about the administration of the Church during this period here, and one about the Camerlengo, currently Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Secretary of State, here. Zenit has a post about the history of the office of Camerlengo, which can be read at Governing the Church During 'Sede Vacante'  


File:Escudo de Armas de Mons. Tarcisio Pietro Evasio Bertone 01 png.png

The arms of Cardinal Bertone as Camerlengo
Image: Wikipedia


No comments: