Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 8 October 2013

Confession and Absolution with the Dominicans


The New Liturgical Movement has another post by Fr Augustine Thompson O.P. about the traditional Dominican usage, this time with regard to Confession and Absolution. Fr Augustine is always an informed and lucid exponent of his Order's traditions. As I go fairly often to Blackfriars in Oxford, and am looking forward to the Traditional Dominican Mass there on October 19th, and as I also have a continuing interest in the history of the medieval Dominican house in my home town of Pontefract, I am always attracted to his posts. This latest one can be read at Penance According to the Dominican Rite.


No comments: