Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 1 October 2013

Turning up a Titian or two


The BBC news website has a report of the attribution to Titian of a painting of the Resurrection dated to 1511, and also a link to an earlier post about the attribution to him of a painting of St John the Baptist from a Spanish church. The report can be seen here.

It is interesting that even nowadays pictures can be found to be by greater artists than had hitherto been realised and that our knowledge of their work can be expanded.








No comments: