Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 15 April 2014

Monastic treasures on display at the Louvre


Last week Gregory DiPippo had a post on the New Liturgical Movement about a current exhibition at the Louvre of treasures from the Abbey of St Maurice in Canton Valais in Switzerland. The abbey is on the site of the martyrdom of St Maurice and the Theban Legion.

The items have not been on display outside the abbey previously, and, judging from those pictured in his post, are very fine indeed and precious survivals. Once again we get a fleeting glimpse of the artistic achievements of past centuries and some idea of what once existed but which in so many cases has been destroyed. The abbey of St Maurice has been fortunate to preserve such items. The post, with its pictures, can be seen at Treasures of the Abbey of St. Maurice at the Louvre.

No comments: