Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 5 April 2014

New Ordinariate Liturgical Book


Earlier this evening at Holy Rood after the Ordinariate Mass I was shown the new volume of Divine Worship: Occasional Servives produced by the Catholic Truth Society for the three Ordinariates.

Divine Worship - Occasional Services


Image:Catholic Truth Society

This provides liturgies for baptisms, weddings and funerals, and is extremely handsomely produced - a good quality volume,  clear typeface and on excellent paper, bound in red with the ancient Canterbury cross on the cover and complete with gilt edges. It also uses illustrations by Martin Travers (1886-1948), who undertook many commissions for Anglo-Catholics in the tradition of the Society of SS Peter and Paul. There is an introduction to his work here.

If the Ordinariate Missal is produced in a similar style - and we assume it will be - then these will be dignified and beautiful books to assist the celebration of the Ordinaraite liturgy. CTS are to be congrtaulated on their work on this project.

No comments: