Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 15 August 2014

The Assumption of Our Lady


Today is the Solemnity of the Assumption of Our Lady, and to mark the fact here is a rather splendid late medieval depiction of the event.

assumption1

Image: standingonmyhead

I have taken it from Fr Longenecker's blog post for yesterday, which sets out his understanding as a former Evangelical turned Anglo-Catholic, who finally became a Catholic, which can be read at 10 Things to Remember About the Assumption of Mary

The lunchtime Low Mass in the Extraordinary Form for the Assumption at the Oxford Oratory today drew an extremely large congregation - not just EF regulars, but a large number of new faces - and one which many churches wouild be happy with at their main Sunday Mass I suspect. That is something which certainly goes against the idea that the "old" Mass puts people off.

No comments: