Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 1 August 2014

The Indulgence of the Portiuncula



Tomorrow is the dayon which the faithful can obtain the indulgence of the Portiuncula.We were reminded of this at Mass at the Oxford Oratory this evening (this evening also counts as part of the day on which the indulgence can be obtained)  Originally associated with Assisi this has become one that is extended to the whole church as Fr Tim Finigan points out in his post Portiuncula indulgence tomorrow (and indulgences generally)

Gaining the plenary indulgence is achieved by patying adevout viist to aparish church, reciting the Creed and Lord's Prayer, together with prayer for the Pope's intention, confession and reception of the Eucharist.

With time spent this evening at church and with confession tomorrow I hope to gain the indulgence.


No comments: