Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 11 September 2014

Scotland and Catalonia


In my post The Scottish Crisis I referred to the analgous situation in Catalonia. I found a useful survey of the situation there in a n article by Tom Burridge, the BBC's man in Madrid on the BBC website, and which can be seen at Battle of Barcelona

Frankly it looks as if these issues are being better handled in Spain in so far as three questionsare being considered in the on-going discussion - the status quo, greater autonomy or independence. In Scotland the enhanced Home-Rule option has, in effect, only recently, and seeingly in a panic, been raised.

 

 

 

No comments: