Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 12 October 2014

Novena for Bl. Emperor Karl


I have set up my mobile phone to give me the link to the Novena for the intercession and canonisation of Bl. Emperor Karl of Austria in the days leading up to his appointed feast day on October 21st.


Emperor Charles I of Austria

The Emperor Karl

Image: newworldencyclopaedia.org

If you are interested in his story and his cause I would recommend the novena which can be found in the prayers section of the website of the Emperor Karl League of Prayer, and the readings provided are a telling insight into the life and spirituality of this good and tragic figure. The website of the League gives, amongst other features, an illustrated biography of the Emperor King.

There is an article about the Emperor from the blog of the Mad Monarchist here, and there are illustrated online biographies of him here and here.


Imperial monogram of Emperor Karl

Image: Wikipedia





No comments: