Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 3 December 2014

Revealing the DNA of King Richard III


King Richard III may have died in 1485, but he still seems capable of causing trouble or embarassment, or simply speculation. The analysis of his DNA and that of proven blood relatives suggests that somewhere along the line from King Edward III someone was born who was not their official, legal father's biological offspring.

There is a good article from the BBC website about the discovery and other related matters at Richard III's DNA throws up infidelity surprise.

There are similar articles in other of today's papers, such as that from the Daily Telegraph which can be read at Richard III DNA shows British Royal family may not have royal-bloodline.



No comments: