Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 11 January 2015

Another El Greco of the Baptism of Christ


Whilst revising my previous post I found a picture of another painting of the Baptism of Christ by El Greco, and thought I would share that with readers. It is extremely close in composition and details to the one in Toledo which I reproduced previously.



The Baptism of Christ
El Greco, 1597-1600
Image:museodelprado.es

Originally in the Colegio de la Encarnación in Madrid, otherwise known as that of Doña María de Aragón, de agustinos, from 1600-1813, and then in the Iglesia de San Felipe el Real y Casa de la Inquisición in the city from 1813-1835, before being moved to the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando from 1835-1838 and the Museo de la Trinidad, 1838-1872 before going to the Prado.

Clearly El Greco and his patrons had no difficulties with him producing such similar paintings, and both are wonderful examples of his unique style. As regular readers will be aware I am a great admirer of his work, combining spectacular visual effects with his figures and colours with a remarkable spiritual insight. These are timeless - seemingly modern, yet more than four centuries old - and which lead to prayer and reflection.


 

No comments: