Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 27 March 2015

Another spectacular tower in Normandy


Further to my post about the Tour de Beurre at Rouen Simon Cotton in Birmingham has very kindly sent me a link to a not dissimilar and very spectacular parish church tower at the church of la Madeleine at Verneuil-sur-Avre (Eure), not so far from Rouen. There is an illustrated online account of the church in French here.

Verneuil sur Avre

The tower at Verneuil-sur-Avre

Image:magix.info

No comments: