Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 30 March 2015

Effective Anglo-Saxon remedies


The BBC News website has a story about modern research finding, to its not inconsiderable surprise, that a tenth century Anglo-Saxon cure for eye infections is 90% effective in combatting MRSA. The report can be seen at 1000-year-old onion and garlic eye remedy kills MRSA

Several newspapers also have reports of the same story - here, for example, is that in the Daily Mail - Medieval potion 'can kill hospital superbugs'



No comments: