Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 2 April 2015

Pope Pius XII and the Reform of Holy Week



With the Triduum almost upon us once again Rorate Caeli have just republished the translation of Fr. Stefano Carusi's work on the reform of Holy Week under Pope Pius XII which they first published five years ago. With agreatly expanded readership they felt compelled to bring it back and share with new readers. This translation is the work of Fr. Charles W. Johnson, a U.S. military chaplain.

Fr Carusi's lengthy but detailed article can be read at The Reform of Holy Week in the Years 1951-1956

Whether you see the changes as reform or deform, as necessary or unnecessary, this is an important contribution to understanding them and how they came about.








No comments: