Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 13 July 2015

Dominican Diaconal Ordinations in Oxford


Last Saturday, as a result of the closure of the church at Blackfriars as it awaits ceiling repairs, the Oxford Oratory was the setting for two Dominican Diaconal ordinations. These were administered by
Bishop William Kenny, titular Bishop of Midica, and the area assistant bishop for this part of the archdiocese.

The candidates were fr Oliver Keenan, whom I had the privilege of teaching medieval church history for one term, and fr Matthew Jarvis.

Due to other commitments I missed the beginning of the liturgy and then had to leave early before the Canon, but I did manage get to the actual act of ordination.

There are some photographs of the ceremonies on Godzdogz, taken by Br Joseph Bailham, O.P., which can be seen by following this link.



No comments: