Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 20 August 2015

The Mousetrap


Yesterday evening I went with a friend to see the 60th anniversary production of Agatha Christie's "The Mousetrap" at the Oxford Playhouse. The play actually opened in Nottingham in 1952, and originated as a shorter radio play in 1947 as part of Queen Mary's eightieth birthday celebrations. It has, of course, having broken all records for length of production, become a national and theatrical institution.

I had never seen it before and went with another Christie enthusiast, who also had not seen it before. The theatre appeared to have sold every seat and we settled back into the world of Agatha Christie. At one level a murder is a social inconvenience for those caught up in it, whilst at another one is given glimpses into some very dark deeds.

At the end of the production the audience are asked by the cast not to give away the plot, and I have no intention of spoiling anyone else's enjoyment of "The Mousetrap ", but I will say it does contain several classic Christie features - it does not disappoint.



No comments: