Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 24 October 2015

Confirmation in the Extraordinary Form


This afternoon the Archbishop of Birmingham conferred the Sacrament of Confirmation in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite on candidates at the Oxford Oratory. Not having attended a Confirmation in this Form previously I went along as an observer, and also to show my support for the confirmands on such an important occasion in their lives.

Before the Confirmation, His Grace catechised and prayed with the candidates in the Sacred Heart Chapel.

IMG_8905

Nine candidates were confirmed, followed by Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament:

IMG_8919


IMG_8915


DSCN8857


DSCN8864

Afterwards there was a reception in the Parish Centre, with a splendidly and suitably decorated cake.

DSCN8824


 DSCN8882

The Archbishop brought a splendid crosier, replete with baroque cherubs:

IMG_8937

 IMG_8938

Images: Oxford Oratory








No comments: