Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 17 November 2015

Coin clipping hoard


BBC News website has a report of an interesting numismatic discovery by a metal detector in Gloucestershire. The find in the Forest of Dean of clippings from coins from the 1560s and 70s through to 1645 gives an insight into the shadier side of life in the period

The BBC report can be read at 'Toenail Hoard' of 500 coin clippings found in Forest of Dean

No comments: