Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 30 January 2016

A new book on the Holy Roman Empire


A friend and regular reader of this blog has sent me the link to a review of The Holy Roman Empire: A Thousand Years of Europe’s History by Peter H. Wilson (Allen Lane, pp.1008, £35, ISBN: 9781846143182) in The Spectator.



Image: Amazon

The review can be read at http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/the-holy-roman-empire-has-been-much-maligned/

This looks to be a very useful and impressive work of scholarship.




No comments: