Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 25 February 2016

Academic Dress


The Special Correspondent sent me some information about the journal of the Burgon Society which is now available online. He writes as follows:

The Burgon Society has put many of its journals online, and they’re an excellent resource. Here’s a list of articles I’ve read that I think will interest you as well:

Who may wear the 'Literate's Hood'? Nicholas Groves
Oxford Blues: The Search for the Origins of the Lay Bachelors' Hood. Bruce Christianson
The Regulation of Undergraduate Dress at Oxford and Cambridge, 1660-1832. William Gibson
In the Pink: The Strange Case of Trinity College Dublin. Bruce Christianson
Academic Dress in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. William Gibson
Lambeth Degree Academic Dress. Noel Cox
Doctors' Greens. Bruce Christianson
Masters of Grammar: A Forgotten Degree. Nicholas Groves
Lambeth Academic Dress and the University of London. Graham Zellick

No doubt many other articles will be of interest to you as well.

He followed this up with an additional link to an interesting article from 2010 by William Gibson on how Walter Pope of Wadham remembered helping to save academic dress in Oxford from being abolished by a Puritan Vice-Chacellor in 1658, and which can be read at the link:
http://www.burgon.org.uk/society/library/trans/tbs10_02_abolition.pdf


No comments: