Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 2 February 2016

Candlemas


Today is Candlemas, the Feast of the Presentation of Christ in the Temple and of the Purification of the Virgin Mary.

File:Meister des Marienlebens candlemas.jpg

Candlemas 

Master of the Life of the Virgin, c.1460-75
National Gallery, London

Image: Wikipedia

There is more about the painter at Master of the Life of the Virgin and on the National Gallery website at Master of the Life of the Virgin

I may well post his other seven scenes from the life of Our Lady, which are in Munich, as we go through the liturgical year.

A happy Candlemas to all readers 



No comments: