Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 27 May 2016

Celebrating St Philip's Day


This evening the Oxford Oratory celebrated the feast of St Philip Neri. This was a day late because as in 1595, the year when St Philip died, May 26th was the feast day of Corpus Christi.

The Solemn Mass this evening had as its preacher the Provost of the London Oratory, Fr Julian Large.
 
St Philip Altarino 2016.JPG

The statue of St Philip in place for the preparatory Novena

Image: Oxford Oratory

As is usual we had a novena leading up to St Philip's Day to prepare for the celebration of his feast and to ask for his prayers for the Oratory and parish.

No comments: