Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 25 May 2016

Down by the Isis


Here in Oxford it is Summer Eights Week, leading up to the final races on Saturday afternoon.

Last week the Special Correspondent sent me a very interesting piece on the history of the boat houses and their predecessors the College barges on the Thames - or Isis. It can be seen at https://heartheboatsing.com/2013/04/22/oxford-beer-boathouses-and-barges/ and in particular in respect of the barges gives an insightful account of what was once a distinctive feature of the river.

Image result for Osbert lancaster Zuleika Dobson images 

Sir Osbert Lancaster's  depiction of a college barge on a race day for an edition of Sir Max Beerbohm's Zuleika Dobson

Image.pbfa.org

No comments: